Refuse / Recycling / Yard Waste
The Town of Middleburg strives to keep both public and private property free of refuse, but kindly asks our residents to assist the Town in this endeavor. The Town contracts with American Disposal to provide curbside collection of refuse, recycling, and yard waste for single family homes, townhomes, and some businesses. It also encourages recycling in order to help protect the health, safety and welfare of its citizens.
American Disposal Services provides trash, recycling and yard waste collection services in the Town limits. Refuse and recyclables are collected on Wednesdays between the hours of 6 AM and 5 PM. Collections can go throughout the day depending on volume, inclement weather conditions, or other unforeseen circumstances.
If you have any questions regarding collections, please contact the Town Offices at (540) 687-5152 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Recycling Programs (such as batteries, cigarette butts & razor blades)
Recycling helps to reduce your carbon footprint. The Town wanted to provide a brief update for our residents on what materials are now being accepted as recyclable.
- PETE/HDPE Plastics Number 1-7/Rigid containers - Jugs, bottles, cartons, tubs, trays, buckets, and bins
- Metals including - Aluminum, bi-metal cans, foil, steel, and tin
- Paper - Office magazines, newspaper, books, mail, shredded materials, and catalogs
- Cardboard - Shipping/moving, (flattened) cereal, paperboard, frozen food
- Recyclable materials may still be commingled in the same container and are later separated at the sorting facility.
- Cardboard boxes must be broken down. It allows for neater and easier disposal.
- Items must be free of food and other non-recyclable materials.
- Receptacles must be strong enough to withstand handling and prevent scattering of contents.
- Recycling containers, when full, cannot weigh more than 50 pounds.
What Cannot be Recycled
***GLASS IS NO LONGER ACCEPTED WITH RECYCLING***
Due to the lack of markets for the materials, glass bottles and jars are no longer accepted for curbside recycling in Town. For now, Loudoun County is still accepting glass at its drop-off recycling center at Mickie Gordon Park on Carters Farm Lane, which is open 7 days a week during daylight hours.
Other materials NOT ACCEPTED
- Plastic Bags
Bulk/Special Waste Collections
If you have an item that is too large, bulky or heavy to be handled with the normal curbside collection, please contact American Disposal the week prior to your desired Wednesday collection. Please state that you are a current resident of the Town of Middleburg and would like to schedule a bulk/special collection. The contact information for American's customer support team is (703) 368-0500 or email@example.com.
Special collection items include
- Clothes washers
- Water related appliances, including;
- Water heaters
***Refrigerant-containing appliances such as air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, and dehumidifiers cannot be collected due to special disposal requirements. Please visit the Loudoun County Landfill page for information on disposal of such appliances.***
Yard Waste Collections
Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, brush, small branches, and natural Christmas trees and wreaths. Properly contained or bundled yard waste will still be collected. Limbs can be no longer than 4 feet in length and 3 inches thick in diameter. Please place grass clippings and leaves in BIODEGRADABLE PAPER BAGS (NO PLASTIC BAGS) OR un-bagged in a personal container clearly marked as "Yard Waste".